Saturday, January 1, 2011

Conversations not often heard in the cockpit...

Just after touchdown a small animal with a striped tail raced out of the brush on the left side of the runway and headed across. "Oh crap!" I grunted and pushed the brakes as hard as I dared. The critter and I reached the same conclusion at the same time... he wasn't going to make it. His tail stood up straight as he frantically braked and I swerved as far right on the narrow runway as I dared. I watched the striped tail disappear under the leading edge of the wing just about where the main wheel tires are. Me: "Crap. I think I just killed a meerkat." First Officer: That wasn't a meerkat, it was a civet." Me: Really? Are you sure? That looked a lot like a meerkat." First Officer: Civet. Me: Huh. I think I just killed a civet. First Officer: Yes. I think you did. Note: As it turns out, no animals were killed. There were no civet remains on the runway when we taxied back and no striped tails in the landing gear.

1 comment:

Mama Blogger said...

This is so funny!

Wendy